IUPUI Arts and Humanities Internal Grant (IAHI)
Deadlines: October 1 and February 1
The IAHI Grant Program supports campus-wide attainment of excellence in research and creative activity in arts and humanities. It is designed to enhance the research and creative activity mission of IUPUI by supporting research projects and scholarly activities that are conducted by arts and humanities faculty. The program is intended to stimulate existing and new research and creative activity and to support faculty in becoming competitive in securing external funding and sponsorship.
- All full-time tenured and tenure-eligible faculty from all schools and units at IUPUI are eligible to apply. Under certain circumstances, non-tenure-track faculty members whose evaluation criteria include research or creative activity may also be eligible with an explanation in the letter of support from their chair or dean.
- Visiting and associate faculty members and post-doctoral fellows are not eligible.
- An associate member (or non-eligible member) of the IUPUI faculty can be a participant in a grant in collaboration with a PI who is an eligible member of the IUPUI faculty.
FUNDING AND PROPOSAL REQUIREMENTS
- All grants are intended for support of research and scholarly activity, and not for support of teaching and/or service activities. Scholarship of teaching may be supported under this grant program, if it has strong and clearly articulated research outcomes.
- Projects will be limited to one (1) year in duration.
- Funds will not be granted for a project currently supported by another internal funding mechanism, unless a case is made in justifying the complementary funding.
- An investigator may not serve as PI on more than one IAHI grant proposal in a given round.
- Applications will be judged on the merit of the proposed research or creative activity, qualifications of the applicant, significance of the research to the field, the potential for additional external funding, and the project’s importance to the individual’s future research plans. Applications for new projects are encouraged.
A. Small Travel Grants for Conferences and Exhibitions: up to $500 to support travel to a conference or exhibition related to a research or creative project.
B. Event Support Grants: up to $1,000 to support a public event at IUPUI related to a research or creative project.
C. Research/Creative Activity Grant: up to $5,000 for travel, equipment, materials, space, hourly assistance, etc. This grant does not require a match. A grant recipient may apply and receive this grant on a yearly basis.
D. Matching Grant for Research/Creative Activity: up to $15,000 which might be used for such things as release time, summer salary, research assistant support, or a research workshop or conference, as well as incidental expenses. This grant requires a 1 to 2 match from the school, department, and/or center sponsoring the faculty (i.e. two thirds or 66.67% of funds come from IAHI, and one third or 33.33% from the faculty’s unit). Salary requests are allowed and cannot exceed one month of salary per person. A Matching Grant recipient is eligible to apply for a new Matching Grant no sooner than two years from the previous grant proposal submission.
E. Collaborative Grant for Research/Creative Activity: up to $30,000 to support research projects and scholarly activities that are conducted by a team of two or more arts and humanities faculty from different units on campus. Funds might be used for such things as release time, summer salary, research assistant support, or a research workshop or conference, as well as incidental expenses. This grant does not require a match from the school, department, and/or center of applying faculty. Funding preference in this category will be given to projects that correspond to one of the following themes: a. Social Justice and the Urban Environment b. Communication and Exchange in the Digital Age
Application sections include:
- Cover page
- Budget and justification
- Project plan
- References cited
- Biosketch or CV not to exceed five pages, include funding history
- Letters of support for Category D and E
- IRB, IACUC, and/or IBC forms if applicable
- Reviewer comments to prior IAHI submission if applicable
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION
Categories A and B
Submission deadlines: Continuous
Submit online here
Categories C, D and E
Submission deadlines: October 1 and February 1
Use the IAHI Application form.
Include the PI’s last name in the file name.
Submit your application as one document in PDF format through the InfoReady portal.