Bridge Funding
Deadline: Applications will be accepted on a continuous basis, pending availability of funds, until the end of the academic year 6/30/2018.

The Bridge Funding program supports faculty who have lost extramural funding in the past twelve months, or will lose their extramural funding within six months of the application submission. The purpose is to provide short-term support for maintenance of ongoing research efforts while the investigator a) awaits the receipt of funds from a secured award, or b) is responding to reviewer comments on a prior grant submission. Requires a 1:2 dollar match from the school, department or unit.

Evidence must be provided to demonstrate efforts to re-establish funding in the form of a) an award letter secured from a granting agency, or b) reviewer comments or summary statement with scores from a funding agency. Priority will be given to investigators with competitive scores and a track record of external funding.


  • All full-time tenure-track faculty having an appointment of Assistant Professor and above are eligible to apply.
  • Faculty in visiting ranks and research scientist ranks are not eligible.


  • Project funding may not exceed $45,000.
  • Projects will be limited to one (1) year in duration.
  • Travel expenses are not allowed unless necessary for completion of the proposed work.
  • Funds will not be granted for similar projects currently supported by other internal or external funding mechanisms at the campus or university level.
  • Applications for a second Bridge for the same project or research will not be accepted.

Application sections include:

  • Cover page
  • Abstract
  • Budget and justification
  • Research plan not to exceed five pages
  • References cited
  • Biosketch not to exceed five pages, include funding history
  • Letters of support from collaborators and department chair
  • IRB, IACUC, and/or IBC forms if applicable
  • Reviewer comments or summary statement from external funding agency submission

Contact Alicia Gahimer at for the name of your school contact person, then submit your application to the appropriate office or person in your school. Applications are to be submitted as one pdf file.